Verse of the day...

Monday, July 14, 2008

My Triathlete

My magnificent husband completed his first triathlon yesterday...AMAZING! This was called an Olympic-length triathlon. They started with a 1500 meter open-water swim, then it was on to a 23 mile bike ride, and they concluded with a 10k run. It was up at a state park near us (about 45 minutes away).

We got there right around 6:00 a.m. and Erick got set up in the transition area (for those of you not familiar with triathlons, it is the area they go to between each event). As he was setting everything up, he realized he forgot something...his running shoes!!! He hadn't packed them in his bag the night before because he thought he was going to wear them (but he wore his flip flops instead). PANIC! I could tell from the look on his face that he was freaking out. He was already stressed because this was his first triathlon, so not having his running shoes about sent him over the edge! Thank goodness the run is the last event...I hopped in the car to head home and get the shoes. I decided to call my in-laws and see if one of them could run to the house and meet me halfway. So, they got an early wake-up call (6:30 a.m.) and my father-in-law agreed to go get the shoes and meet me halfway...THANK YOU SO MUCH, HARRY! Erick thanks you, too! Anyways, I sped a bit (sorry) and got back before Erick finished the swim...that was my goal because I wanted him to see that I was back with the shoes before he started biking so he wouldn't worry the whole 23 mile ride if I was going to make it back. Right as I was running up to hand off the shoes, I looked up and saw a rainbow (you can kind of make it out in the picture below)...


The funny thing is, when Erick finished his swim portion in the lake and was getting out, he looked up and saw the same rainbow and he knew it was going to be okay. I kind of took it as my sign, too, that everything was going to go great!

Heading off on the ride...he got rained on a bit during this part.


Moving on to the run....He is smiling because I told him I'd see him at the finish line and he replied, "I hope I'm there, too!" Ha!


Gotta hydrate! Most of the run was on a shaded trail through the state park...definitely made it easier!


Home stretch...the finish line was about 50 yards from where this picture was taken. Erick finished in around 2 hrs and 55 min (we're still waiting on the official time).

CONGRATS, Erick, on such an awesome accomplishment!
I love you and am so very proud of you!

4 comments:

Regina said...

WOW. That looks like an awesome place to run! He knows who to call if he needs a little PT...

Regina said...

oh, and looking forward to seeing YOUR pic on here after your big RUN in October!!!

Alison said...

That's an awesome accomplishment! I know you're hard in training yourself and will do an amazing thing for yourself soon. Good luck!

Kelly said...

That's amazing!! You all should be really proud!